Helping you get the essential answers
Frequently Asked Questions
Scotties offers reliable cars at very low rates. We guarantee your car and have nationwide roadside assistance in the event of any problems. Thirty years of experience has given us a proven track record of great service. However if you are the type of person that demands a brand new car and you don't care about the cost then I would respectfully recommend that you try the nice people at Avis. The most asked questions relate to Insurance. Scotties Rental Cars is family owned and operated, providing cheap rental cars to happy travellers for over 30 years. We have seen it all and still enjoy helping travellers have the trip of a life time. To ensure this we make sure our friendly staff are experts on cheap NZ car rental and well-travelled themselves. Scotties offer 3 main levels of insurance cover- you are free to select the best option for you. Basic insurance is included in all rates and means you are covered up to two million dollars liability. You have an excess of $3500.
In cases of single vehicle accidents this can increase to $5000.
Additional insurance fees apply to high end vehicles, trucks and large vans.
We offer three Insurance policy options ranging from low risk to maximum risk:
Every hire comes with our Basic Insurance Option FREE. However, we recommend the Peace of Mind Insurance Option so your trip is completely hassle free. Here are some things to be aware of when you are choosing your insurance policy. Option Coverage
Basic $3500 excess plus hold on credit card
Normal $250 excess - no hold on card
Gold $0 excess - no hold on cardBasic insurance is included in all rates and means you are covered up to two million dollars liability. You have an excess of $3500. * Daily insurance charge – During the booking process your daily charge will depend on the type of car you choose and the length of your hire. Daily charges are not calculated until you choose your vehicle and itinerary. Excess - This amount will be charged to your credit card in the event of any damage to the car. If the cost of the damage is lower than the excess, the difference will be refunded to you once the claim has been processed. Bond - This amount will be held on your credit card when you pick up your car. Please note: Debit cards cannot be used for the bond if they do not have the hirers name on the card.
Please note that higher excess levels apply to under 25 year olds and Learner licence holders.
- To hire a Scoties rental car, all that's needed is a credit card and a full valid driver's licence.
- A credit card pre-authorisation of the bond amount is required if you go with the Basic insurance option.
- Debit cards cannot be used for pre-authorisation. Please ensure you have a credit card present on pick up.
- If you choose to upgrade your insurance then the excess will not be authorised.
- If you have an accident, the excess amount must be paid regardless of who is at fault. If the cost of the damage is lower than the excess, the difference will be refunded to you once the claim has been processed.
- Misuse and/or damage to any accessories hired with Scotties are not covered by insurance.
- If the rental agreement terms and conditions are breached your insurance may be void.
- Loss of Earnings charges apply to accident repairs
Scotties is a licensed Rental Car Operator. We operate under the strict rules of the New Zealand Transport Authority. Insurance coverages are regulated under NZTA Government legislation and apply to all licensed car rental operators in New Zealand.